About Me

Friday, July 1, 2011

Things I've learned

As I sit and write my midterm report for YCI, I can't help but think how my time here is just flying by. June has come and gone, yet it still seems like I just arrived in Zanzibar last week! Writing my midterm has made me reflect a lot over the past 3 months (as well as my time in Ghana) and I do feel as though I have accomplished a lot with work and in my personal life.

I have finally finished the first complete draft of the ZANGOC strategic plan which I feel is a weight lifted off my shoulders! Also, I have been expanding my circle of friends and dancing a lot which, as always, keeps me happy (and sane!) However, I must admit that I am finding myself missing Toronto these days, only because it's summer time and I miss playing baseball,cycling (without fear of dying!) and relaxing in the park with friends and cold beer!

At the half way point I want to reflect on some things I've learned since being on this continent for nearly 8 months now, minus the 6 weeks in February/March that I was freezing in Toronto!
  1. It is impossible to keep your feet clean
  2. Life is a strategic plan; you must have a vision, mission, values and goals!
  3. I have a lot of trust in people
  4. Sleeping under a bednet doesn't mean you won't be attacked by mosquitoes all night long
  5. Mosquitoes exist for no other reason than to torment people
  6. Thieves are cunning, sneaky and very quick
  7. Germans are awesome and make great friends (and are everywhere...in large quantities!)
  8. There are no road rules, except for honking 
  9. Pedestrians DO NOT have the "right of way"
  10. There is no limit on the number of people you can cram into a taxi (so far I've reached 8 people in a taxi in Koforidua and 5 people in a bajaji in Dar es Salaam)
  11. Street food is always a good choice
  12. Bargaining is great and really should be introduced into the Western world
  13. The "muzungu" or "obruni" or whatever you want to call a foreigner is often left in the dark
  14. Apparently the muzungu or obruni knows all...which is NOT true!
  15. Smiles and laughter say a thousand words
  16. It really is OK to strike a conversation with strangers on the daladala, trotro, mutatu, subway, bus or whatever mode of public transportation you use to get to work (ditch the ipod and give it a try!)
  17. Hitch-hiking is not frowned upon and no one suspects the driver will attack you
  18. Soccer really does run the world
  19. Funerals are a huge party, and very fun
  20. Celine Dion and Shania Twain are still popular here...and will forever be popular here 
  21. Males START and FINISH the dance floor (much appreciated by me!)
  22. You are always recognized and definitely stand out (get used to it!)
  23. It's ok to talk to strangers, people just want to ask you questions
  24. Stepping out of your comfort zone is a MUST
  25. Hospitality really is an amazing quality
  26. In order to get the right answers, you must ask the right question...sometimes this is a long process!
  27. African "massages" ... don't let them fool you (aka: long bus rides on very bumpy roads)
  28. When a policeman asks for a "Friendly" what he's really asking for is a bribe 
  29. There is nothing more beautiful than the perfect sunset over the Indian Ocean
  30.  TBD!
5 people + the driver in a Bajaji in Dar
Sunset in Nungwi, North Zanzibar
Forodhani Night Market, Stone Town
Steph and I dancing at a funeral in Koforidua, Ghana
Soccer stadium in Kumasi, Ghana
Dancing with some school kids in Koforidua, Ghana
I think this list will have to be ongoing as I am still here for another 3 and a half months! Please feel free to add anything you've learned while traveling/working overseas.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like lessons well learned Lisa. It is a good thing you are the type of person that adapts to your current environment very easily. Not sure if I could ever be that adaptable.
    Keep up the great work.

    Love you & miss you lots. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good info Lisa, wish everyone were like the people in Africa. It would be a better world to live on.

    Love you
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Lisa! So insightful, but makes me miss you even more. Keep having the time of your life loveee! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm sure there will be more lessons learned after my vacation in Southern Africa...stay tuned :) Mel, Zanzibar misses you, when are you coming back?!? xox

    ReplyDelete